Situated on the shores of spectacular Waterloo Bay, Elliston is known for its rugged, scenic coastline and as a great place for fishing, swimming, surfing and bush walking. Set between rolling hills and some of the most spectacular and dramatic coastline on the Eyre Peninsula, the town is a centre for a cereal-growing, mixed-farming and fishing community.
Businesses in the town include a licensed post office, pharmacy, hotel/motel, bakery, auto electrician, roadhouse, two caravan parks and a motel. We also have a hospital, resident doctor, kindergarten, Information Centre and area school which is available for children from Reception through to Year 12.
The Elliston Sports Centre is a hub for the football and netball clubs and serves cheap meals Thursday nights during winter months. You can hire golf clubs or tennis racquets from the Centre for a round of golf during the winter months or a hit of tennis all year round.
Elliston is an RV Friendly Town and welcomes all travellers to visit and enjoy all that our area has to offer.
RV Dump Points in the Elliston District are located at:
Lock Caravan Park
Elliston Caravan Park
Port Kenny Caravan Park
Venus Bay Beachfront Tourist Park
Fees may apply.
The District Council of Elliston is based in the town, however, the Council area incorporates Port Kenny, Venus Bay, Sheringa and Lock.
Camping is available caravan parks or for those who are fully self-contained with own grey water storage you can camp at the Elliston Golf Club car park, payment can be made onsite with cash or paywave.
Camping is also available at Walker’s Rock and Sheringa Campgrounds, which is managed by the District Council of Elliston. Please make your bookings here https://www.eyrepeninsula.com/camping
Population: 377 (grows to 1,500 during peak season).
History of the Elliston area
Matthew Flinders sailed past Waterloo Bay in 1802, naming the Waldegrave Islands and Anxious Bay. The Elliston township bay was later named Waterloo Bay in 1865 on the Golden Jubilee of the Battle of Waterloo, hence the names Wellington Point and Wellesley Point at its entrance.
On land, Edward John Eyre explored the area, naming Lake Newland in 1840. Settlers took up holdings sometime around 1847.
Elliston was planned and named by Governor Jervois in 1878, some say after Ellen Liston, a governess for a local pioneering family but it is more likely that it was named after Sir Samuel Burdon Ellis, a friend of Governor Jervois or possibly Sir Henry Walton Ellis, who died of wounds in the Battle of Waterloo.
Elliston became the central port for the region from which the early settlers transported their wool and wheat by sailing vessels and later steamships. Road transport took over after 1965. Since then Elliston has established itself as an important centre for the surrounding area with farming, fishing and tourism providing the main sources of employment and business opportunities.
Acknowledgement of Country
The Elliston Community & Visitor Information Centre acknowledge and respect the Wirungu and Nauo people as the Traditional Owners of the Elliston District, where we live, learn and work. We also acknowledge other tribes who have utilised the area and travelled through the region as part of their cultural activities.